Thursday 29 January 2009

Year 3s V Sefton Scorpions - Match Report

In Match One it's fair to say we "thumped 'em". We won 8-0 (although one of the goals was a touch high - shocking decision by the ref, I'll be kicking myself all week). I lost track of all those who scored, but Danny, Omar, Sam L and Raul were amongst the goals. I also seem to remember that Harri TD scored from a long shot, but as I was ref-ing I can't be sure.

Match Two, on the big pitch, was a closer affair. In fact, it was a draw, 2-2. We scored first - FROM A CORNER! Danny took the corner and Nick scored at the near post. The coach rather shockingly had Max in goal (Max wanted to) and he was called into action when we gave away a penalty - we can't complain, it was definitely a pen. Much to his Dad's surprise Max dived well and almost saved a well taken penalty. And he made two more good saves in this half. We ended the half with a well worked goal. It started with a clearence from our goalie found a Foxy midfielder and three passes and players later, Someone scored. I wish I could remember who! Second half and Danny was in goal. We as a team were pushing too far forward and leaving huge gaps at the back forcing Danny into a string of good saves - one of which could be compared to the great Gordon Banks World Cup save, with even Sefton Park parents remarking, "What a great save" (I could be paraphrasing here). But finally with Danny facing three Sefton Scorps and all our defenders up the other end they scored with a good low shot to his right. We carried on pressing, but were hurt by not knowing when to release the ball. So a good draw but lots to work on.

A great team effort with all the boys playing well, but of course, I put the success down to a good tactical display by the coaching staff.

DT

0 comments: